June 30, 2009

Visit To The Wound/Burn Clinic

Ok so I woke up around 6:30 this morning to get "ready" to go for my two day check up after surgery. By getting ready, I mean a lovely baby wipe bath, face washing, teeth brushing, and hair in a pony tail. My wonderful mother came over and shaved my armpits. I am forever indebted to her. Got to the Burn/Wound Clinic at 8AM and they took me back about 45min later. First off, into a gown, and waiting and waiting and waiting. Then came the part I was scared to death of. The nurse took off the bandage which didn't hurt to bad, just a little sore. Then, she used forceps to removed the gauze from the wound. It hurt alot less than I figured it would, just a pinch. But, I think because I had worked myself up so much and I'm squemish, it grossed me out so bad that I proceeded to throw up everywhere. Lovely. Then they had to move me, gave me booties cuz I had to throw my sneakers away, and then gave me a shot in the butt to get rid of the nausea. Then they took a picture of the gaping hole on my side. Ughhhhhh. I was torn. I wanted to see it but didn't wanna see. So I had my mom take a picture with my cell phone that I looked at later. Pretty horrible. The incision is about two inches long and about half an inch wide. It runs horizontal on my side and is still open. There will be no stiches. This kinda wound they want to heal from the inside out. Without warning (!!!!) the nurse came over and started repacking it. I think she didn't tell me so I wouldn't get all worked up again. I am usually pretty dramatic, but I'm not over-exaggerating when I say that repacking the wound consisted of gauze soaked in silver nitrate, being shoved in the hole with a long qtip. I think she jabbed me like 20 times. It was the most painful thing I have ever experienced in my life. I yelled, but was able to not scare the crap outta other patients. All this was without any pain meds or numbing. My painkillers had run out by that time and there was NO local anestheic. So I felt all of it. Then the nurse put another bandage over the whole thing and taped it down. For some reason, this bandage is about 3x the size of the original one. She also managed to put it halfway across my breast for some unknown reason. Because this bandage is so bulky, I literally can't put my arm down. Like Ralphie's little brother in A Christmas Story. I've been walking around with my hand on my hip constantly. Now, the wound is still achey, but more than anything, it is STINGY. It just stings and stings because it was finally exposed to air. And my frustration level is at its max because I can't put my arm down. I can't even rest it by my side while sitting. I still can't take a shower. I'm not really writing all this up to complain, its just somewhat cathartic to write it all down and get it out, yanno? Anyways, thats all for now. Today feels like it is going to be much, much, much, better!

1 comment:

  1. I want to hug you but that would hurt so instead I will give you a massive kiss on the cheek.

    ReplyDelete