June 29, 2009

Update

This is the post I made on facebook about my surgery yesterday. Just thought I would post it here as well for good measure.

"Ok. So on Friday morning I noticed what I thought was a pimple on my side, right below my armpit. I put some cream on it and didn't think twice about it. Well, but Friday night it was a red blotch about the size of a quarter. Saturday morning, the ring around it had progressed to about the size of a coke can rim. It was throbbing and the pain was horrific. It had a head on it so my mom came over and was able to get a little bit of nastiness out of it. Throughout the day I was able to get more out, but by bedtime, the size of the ring had expanded to almost the size of a cd. I used a hot compress and a cold compress which brought me some relief, but figured I might need to see a doctor about it because it also had a knot under it the size of a golfball. All along, I was thinking that it was a spider bite. 5AM this morning (Sunday) I woke up with a fever and chills. Decided it was time to go to the ER. I took 4 ibuprofen and by the time we got to the ER the fever had almost completely gone away. Well, the ER doctor came and looked at it. He said it could possibly began as an insect bite, a small cut, or a pimple, but most like it was now a bad case of MRSA. Yanno that highly contagious form of a staph infection? Yeah. So, I proceeded to sit in the ER for 7 hours, waiting for the Wound/Burn Unit to have an opening for me. They put me under and cleaned it all up. Turns out, the infection was much deeper than they thought and the doctor said it had probably been there for awhile (up to two weeks even). They removed ALOT of blood and pus and packed the wound. On Tuesday I go for them to change the dressing and clean it again. They should have the cultures done by then to confirm that its MRSA, even thought they basically know that it is. I am incredibly sore. I can't even lift my left arm up and it stings. Bad thing is, now that I have had one of these infectoins, I am more likely to get one again. Please be thinking of me and praying that my recovery is fast and there aren't any complications. Now I have to direct John in cleaning and sterilizing everything in my apartment."

No comments:

Post a Comment